Sunday, August 31, 2008

Little Lizard

I thought this little lizard sunning on the roots of one of the MANY olive trees in my yard was just too cute, so I had to take his picture! I have no problems with lizards. They eat insects, they do me no harm, the kids play with them, the dogs and cats chase them...and, most importantly, they never ever come in the house!

No, Mr. Lizard is fine by me. It's Mr. Gecko I can't stand! He and his friends are in the house all the time, scurrying across the walls, hanging from the ceiling when you least expect it. And then, they die. Ok, it's not his fault, it happens to everyone sooner or later...but when a gecko dies in the house, he leaves a really bad smell...and most of the time there's nothing to be done about it...because his little gecko corpse is hiding somewhere behind the furniture, or in the wooden blinds...and you'll never find it! No, I don't like geckos...

5 comments:

Jane Hards Photography said...

You not only have Mr lizard, but Mr Gecko as an uninvited guest. We don't even have grass snakes here, let alone the above. He is cute and yes I would welcome him.

Benjamin Madison said...

Interesting blog and nice photos.

USelaine said...

We don't have geckos here, but I saw a lot of them in Hawaii. I share your affinity for lizards, especially the Western Fence Lizard. I love the way olive trees grow as well, with the twisted shapes and gnarled roots. Great shot!

Fern Driscoll said...

By this time of year half our lizards have only half their tails... what has happened to the other half??

Friends here tell us that geckos bring good luck, so we're always happy to see one.

Knoxville Girl said...

I like your photo. We have skinks here, little gray lizards with blue-striped tails. The tail, I think, distracts predators so the lizard can escape. They're tiny and stay *outside*.
I'll trade your geckos for my mice (pee-yew! they really smell)