Sunday, March 8, 2009

Hospital Chapel

This is the chapel at the hospital. When a person dies at the hospital the family is obliged to hold the funeral here. You don't get to take Auntie Maria back to your local church. When I was in the hospital in Terlizzi years ago, there was a lovely friar who would come around every day or two and talk to people, pray with them and bless them. I'm not Catholic, but I did find it reassuring to be blessed every so often while in the hospital! Another kind of medicine...

6 comments:

Maria Verivaki said...

wow, that's strict - we never hold funerals in hospital churches, although there are churches and shrines all over the place in such institutions

VP said...

This story is so... italian, good friar included!

penny said...

Very interesting story, Saretta. I'm not to sure I agree with the rules though.

Hilda said...

I don't like that rule either. I'd like the family to be able to choose a place that they're comfortable with. But I do like the friar/priest visiting the patients.

Somehow, the chapel looks like it was built in the 1960s. Any idea?

Jane Hards Photography said...

I have never heard of this ruling before. How much we learn from blogging that glossy magazines just do know cover.

B SQUARED said...

Can't imagine that here.