Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Half in Bloom


Last month I showed a close-up shot of the mimosa flowers on the tree that lives just outside my front door. I mentioned how this particular tree blooms half one month and then the other half much later. Well, this shot was taken today and you can clearly see the division of blooming and non-blooming sides of the tree.

I am still really unsatisfied with this new camera of mine. It does okay with close-ups and shots taken a few feet away from the subject, but is no good at all in larger views like the tree above. It really lacks definition. I got much better results with my son's camera, which I think I am about to go dig out of his drawer and start using again!

10 comments:

nobu said...

Beautiful colour!

VP said...

That's quite incredible: which is the orientation of the blooming side?

Saretta said...

I believe it is the side to the east. This tree is actually two trees grafted together. The bit on the left blooms later!

penny said...

I have never seen a yellow mimosa before. Mimosa flowers are gorgeous. We had 2 beautiful pink mimosa trees but they died from a disese.

Gerald (SK14) said...

I've never come across anything like this before - you've explained it arises due to being a graft of two trees - fascinating - is this blooming already? - far too cold for blooms here yet.

Saretta said...

Pam - I've never seen a pink mimosa! That must be very pretty.

It started blooming in mid-January!

Unknown said...

That is so interesting! and such a good sign that spring isn't too far away :)

mouse (aka kimy) said...

I thought there must be some type of grafting involved!!

sorry to hear you aren't happy with your new camera....that is a bummer...

marley said...

That is unusual! makes for an interesting shot.

Unknown said...

I'm sure grafting is the answer, it has to be! :-)