Saturday, April 18, 2009

Holy Week...a week late

Wouldn't you just know it that the two weeks I've been without internet service would have to coincide with Holy Week, one of the richest periods of religious tradition in Molfetta! In the spirit of "better late than never" I'll be posting a few photos of some of the highlights.

These photos were taken on Palm Sunday, the day on which olive branches are blessed. My parish holds a blessing ceremony in a small park a few blocks from the church and then the congregation makes a short procession from the park to the church.












During the mass, the priest and two assistants perform a reading of the story of Christ being condemned by Pontius Pilate, his crucifixion and resurrection.


4 comments:

VP said...

Welcome back, you are just in time for the... Orthodox Easter!
Sorry for your troubles, we missed your posts.

Hilda said...

I was wondering where you'd gone! Sorry to hear about your internet troubles. Hope it didn't interrupt any translation work. Welcome back!

Tinsie said...

Indeed, perfect timing for Orthodox Easter - I'm glad I'm not the only one doing Easter posts hehe :-)

Saretta said...

Tinsie and Poet, you're right...Orthodox Easter!

Hilda, thanks for your concern. Luckily, I had no translations going on in the past two weeks, or I would have been in big trouble!